Home » Posts tagged 'Barn Door Stamp Set'
Tag Archives: Barn Door Stamp Set
Hello Stamping Friends,
What a wonderful summer it has been as we traveled to Yellowstone and camped at the base of the Grand Tetons and then traveled to a wedding shower and traveled again for the wedding celebration and traveled to be the guest presenter at a Stamp A Stack. Whew….. it is good to be home. The yard is glad we are home as well.
Amid all the traveling I even had club here in Castle Rock!
I love most all things “bird” and fell in love with the Bird Ballad Designer Series Paper (DSP), so for club we made a Bird House fancy fold card. I made a second one for my husband so I will show both.
The card on the left uses current Stampin’ Up! products whereas the one on the right uses two punches for the roof that are retired.
The fold is a fun diagonal fold and I cut the inside whisper white layer to have a matching angle so I could use one of the larger birds on top of the heart. Here is a close up:
The roof has three layers of scallops cut from the ‘Stitched Labels’ framelits, a ‘Flourish Thinlit’ strip cut out and then cut right down the middle and mounted on two strips of blue mitered at the top to make the gables. Part of a flourish from the ‘Be Mine Stitched Framelits’ and a little heart from ‘Stitched Labels’ was used. A 1″ punched circle of soft suede is sponged and popped up behind the heart cut out. Sponging is added to give depth to the Soft Suede and a rhinestone is added for a little sparkle:
The dimensions will be below but let’s compare the other card and some of the differences on it:
Aren’t those birds just the cutest!! TIP: When fussy cutting your birds and flowers do not cut clear into the legs or the branches, just use Stampin’ Blends or markers that match the background and color the small areas to match. This keeps the cut out image stronger and it is not noticeable. I used soft suede between the legs of the bird that was over the circle and Balmy Blue for between the legs that were outside of the circle. Can you tell? Hmmm.. I think I will go back and color all the edges on the cut out bird on the first card instead of leaving a little white like I have trained myself to do in fussy cutting.
The gables are from the retired ‘Dotted Scallop Punch’ and the scallops are from a retired ‘Scallop Punch but – –
The ‘hello’ sign is still current in the ‘Barn Door’ stamp set and has framelits to cut it out in the ‘Sliding Door’ framelits. We have used this set multiple times so it is a must for a stamp collection. I stamped the sign once in Soft Suede and once in Flirty Flamingo and then cut out just the hello of the Flirty Flamingo and popped it up.
I used the ‘Crackle Paint’ stamp on both cards but on the second card I scored and folded the card and then ran it through the Big Shot with the current ‘Pinewood Planks 3D’ embossing folder.
What a different look! You could run the front and back through the Big Shot separately if you didn’t want the middle fold to have different directions on the wood look.
I did a straight cut on the top of the Whisper White inside layer instead of angles like the first card. Here is a close up:
TIP: With cards like these that don’t stand up nicely by themselves I like to make a CARD STAND 3 3/4″ X 2 1/2″ scored and folded 1/4″ on each end of the long end.
Dimensions and supplies used:
Card Base: 10 3/4″ X 3 3/4″ Score at 5 3/8″
-Mark 3 3/8″ from each end on both sides and score diagonally
-Make the birdhouse hole by laying the smallest of the Stitched Shapes Circle Framelits 1 1/16″ from the edge of the framelit to the edge of the bottom and the right and left sides. Cut and then sponge the edge with Balmy Blue.
-Mask the back of the card base and stamp the front with the Crackle Stamp in Balmy Blue. Run through the Big Shot with the Pinewood Planks embossing Folder if desired.
Roof: Soft Suede 3″ square cut in half.
-Roof Scallops: (3) Soft Suede 6″ X 1/2″ cut with the ‘Be Mine Stitched Framelit’ and then cut to 4 1/4″ X 1 1/4″ . I found it easier to cut it wide and then trim to 1/4″ wide by laying the large part of scallop at 3/8″ on the trimmer. Sponge the edges of each. Offset your rounded part of the scallop with the previous indent of the scallop as you layer them.
-Once the scallops are adhered you can cut the little heart using the ‘Stitched Labels’ tiny heart.
-Circle behind the heart: punch 1″ of Soft Suede and sponge it deeply then pop it up behind the heart.
Pop up the roof with Stampin’ Dimensionals on the card base.
Gables: (2) 1/4″ X 3 1/2″ Balmy Blue strips mitered for top. Tip: Lay the strips on top of each other and cut through both at the same time to have a nice mitered edge or make a 45 degree cut at each end by lining up at 1/2 of a square on the Stampin’ Trimmer.
Gable Decoration: (1) 5 1/4″ X 3/4″ Soft Suede cut with the ‘Flourish Thinlits Die’ and then cut straight down the middle to make one for each side. Glue the Soft Suede on the Balmy Blue strips and pop up the gables on the top of the roof with its scallops.
Scrap of Balmy Blue: Cut out the flourish from ‘Be Mine’ stitched framelits. It has five branches and I cut off the outer two so it fit at the top of the roof. Add a rhinestone.
Scrap of Whisper White 1 1/2″ X 1″ stamped in Flirty Flamingo with “Hello” from Fourishing Phrases and punched with a small oval punch -retired- but we have the layering ovals that would work great. Sponge the edge with your Flirty Flamingo.
Fussy cut your bird from the Bird Ballad DSP and mount with dimensionals.
Inside: Whisper White: 5″ X 3 1/2″. Lightly pencil mark 3 1/4″ from bottom of the right and left and mark the top middle at 1 3/4″ and then diagonally cut from the sides to the middle. Or make a 3 1/2″ X 3 1/4″ rectangle if you don’t want the angled top.
For the inside I used Flourishing Phrases for the greetings and created a mask to sponge the heart by cutting out of a sticky note the third largest of the scalloped hearts in the Be Mine stitched framelits dies. You could use printer paper if you don’t have a large sticky note just be sure to use washi tape to hold it in place while you sponge the heart to the desired color. I fussy cut another bird and flowers to go around the heart and positioned them so they wouldn’t show through the front entrance but you could have a bird peeking out of the entrance for fun as one of my club members chose to do. It was cute.
Embellish with rhinestones! Send to your favorite bird lover or to your lover as I did with the second one which uses the “I love our life together” from the ‘Meant To Be’ Stamp set.
Hello Stamping Friends,
One of the most popular sets in the Occasion Catalog is the Barn Door Bundle on page 43. The catalog runs through May 31 but “Product availability may be limited toward the end of the catalog sales period” so don’t wait if this set is on your wish list. Through March 31, spend $50 and get a free Sale A Bration item; this year we even have a level 2 set of free items for purchases of $100. See all the items in the catalog tab.
The hostess code for March is D6PG94AD. This is the code you will use if you place an online order under $150. Over $150 earns you your own hostess rewards!
This set has framelits to cut out the tracks, each little piece of hardware, each flower in the wreath, the set of three flowers and the bow! I think Stampin’ Up! thought of just about every which way you might want to stamp the embellishments. Check out what I made:
The inside uses stamps from two different sets in the Annual Catalog: Wild About Flowers, page 174, and Butterfly Basics, page 149. The ribbon on the front is from the Sale A Bration free Shimmer Ribbon Pack. The sign on the door is created by cutting out the frame in Basic Black with the framelit and then stamping the Hello Sign on Whisper White and cutting out just the Hello with a bit of black border and then popping this up on your black cutout. I liked the Pool Party on Pool Party but there are so many other combinations that look striking – copper hardware on brown or silver hardware on Soft Sky. I would love to see what you create!
To make the card you see here you will need:
- Eight #6 washers from your local hardware store
- Simple Stripes Embossing Folder (pg. 5 of Occasions Catalog) #145648
- Foam Adhesive Strips (pg. 203 of Annual Catalog) #141825; Five 5″ strips; glue dots; mini stampin’ dimensionals
- Inks – Basic Black for Hello, Emerald Envy for leaves, Crushed Curry for flowers, Early Espresso for door and greetings
- Ribbon – 6″ of Pool Party Shimmery Ribbon from Sale A Bration free bundle
- Base – Pool Party 5 1/2″ X 8 1/2″ scored at 4 1/4″
- Top Layer – Pool Party 4″ X 5 1/4″
- Barn Door – Crumb Cake 2 3/4″ X 3 3/4″ The Framelit is 2 1/4″ X 3 5/16″ but give yourself some extra to stamp the door and then cut it down to size
- Hardware & Sign – Basic Black 4 1/2″ X 2″
- Greeting behind the door – Whisper White 4″ X 2 1/4″
- Greeting Inside Card – Whisper White 5 1/4″ X 4″
- Hello Greeting – Whisper White 1 1/2″ X 1 1/2″
- Cut the tracks in your top layer; Center the tracks framelit horizontally but NOT vertically. It is 5/8″ down from the top which makes it about 1/4″ and a hair from the bottom. (Isn’t it great that the two tracks are on one framelit?!)
- Emboss the top layer with the Simple Stripes Embossing Folder positioning an indented stripe directly on the top of the top track so you will have a flat surface where you are trying to glue on the black hardware strip. Check out the picture above.
- Stamp the barn door with Early Espresso Ink and cut it out with the framelit; sponge the edges for a bit of shadow
- Cut out the black hardware and sign – two rollers for the top of the door, one long black strip, the door handle and the sign
- Glue on the long black strip. I used tombow liquid glue.
- Place a washer beneath the top track and bottom track at the far left side of each track. Put a mini dimensional on top of the washers then place another washer on top of the mini dimensionals. You should have one washer underneath the cardstock, the dimensional then a washer on top of the cardstock.
- Position two more washers at the far right side of each track and do the same layering: washer-mini dimensional-washer.
- Put two glue dots on the top of the four layered washers
- With two washers pushed as far left as they will go, position your barn door and press the left side of the door onto the glue dots
- Making sure the other two washers are pushed as far right as they will go, slide the barn door to the right and press onto the glue dots
- Mount your top layer to your card base with the foam adhesive strips. One strip should be placed above and below each of the tracks and one strip right in the middle- so five 5″ strips are used.
- Take your Whisper White 4″ X 2 1/4″ greeting piece and temporarily place it under the door. Slide the door to the left and make a light pencil mark to show where your edge will be when stamping. Slide the door to the right and mark the edge for the other side. Hint: If making multiples use a large acrylic block to mount both the left and right greeting on the one block and you can stamp without remarking the edges each time.
- Stamp your greetings. Note: The Whisper White greeting piece could be larger or smaller depending on your choice of greetings- just be sure to attach the door to the washers further out or further in on the door as needed to cover the greetings. You will see several different sizes on Youtube for this greeting piece. The key is the door placement on the washers so it covers the greetings.
- Glue your greeting behind the door. I used Tombow so it didn’t stick before it was in position.
- Glue the rollers to the door only at the bottom. It is an illusion that they are attached at the top and rolling along the track.
- Glue the handle.
- Make the Hello Sign by stamping the sign on Whisper White and then fussy cut the “hello” with a bit of black border and pop this up on the black sign cut out with the framelit and Basic Black cardstock. Attach the sign with a glue dot and then attach a little bow on top with another glue dot.
- Stamp your inside greeting and your name on the back.
- Decorate your envelope – no naked envelopes in the mail!
- Stamp and send!!
PARTY AT MY HOUSE
We will be making this card and the Blossoming Basket card (see the previous post) at my house here in Castle Rock on March 14 (rescheduled from March 10). I would love to have you join us. We will start at 9:00 and have a light lunch about 11:30. RSVP by Sunday, March 11. It’s a standard party with a door prize, thank you gifts, snacks and chocolate. There is no charge but catalogs will be available for shopping or taking home to shop later.
CALL TO CLUB
Would you like to join a Stampin’ Up! club and have fun with others while learning how to use new techniques, fancy folds, awesome products or clean and simple cards? In the past we had club every other month and commitments from six members who had the privilege of being the hostess (and earning free products) along with the responsibility of a light lunch or breakfast. Join me to discuss club details and make the Magic Shutter Card. We will discuss what day of the week to meet, what time, and most importantly – when do we start! I will answer questions and we will go over the responsibilities of the hostess for each club. I am thinking we need one Saturday club every other month and one weekday club every other month but it all depends on you.
When: Saturday, March 24, 10:00-12:00 (snacks and lunch provided)
Where: My House – 4143 Eagle Ridge Way, Castle Rock
What: Discussion and sign up for clubs
RSVP: Please RSVP by March 21. If you can’t attend but would like to join a club, send me a list of what you would like in a club – what day of the week, what time, what type etc.
PAPER PUMPKIN PARTY
Paper Pumpkin is a monthly crafting kit sent directly to your home. It has everything you need to make cards or other cool gifts. March is a special celebration of Paper Pumpkin’s fifth year in production! There will be a special box and a gift in the box to accompany the regular kit. You must subscribe by the 10th of March to receive the special kit. The cost is $19.95 plus tax or buy online and you can get three months for $59 and a free Sale A Bration product. Check out the video here:
Let’s make our kits together!
When: Wednesday, March 28, 9:30 – 11:30 (snacks provided)
Where: My House – 4143 Eagle Ridge Way, Castle Rock
RSVP: Tuesday, March 27. I have no card kits to make but it helps to know you are coming.
Contact me with questions about any of the above.
SAL, Shop A Little – click on the computer image to go to my online store